The game had been scheduled to take place on Saturday lunchtime, but it has become the latest Premier League fixture to be postponed as Covid cases as the club rise
Manchester United’s home clash with Brighton this weekend has been postponed.
It is the fourth Premier League match this week to be called off – including United’s midweek trip to Brentford.
A statement from the Red Devils announced that the club has once again shut down their Carrington training base.
It said: “Manchester United can confirm that our Premier League fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion, scheduled for Saturday 18 December at 12:30 GMT, has been postponed and will be rescheduled in due course.
“The health of players and staff is our priority. Given the number of players and support staff having to isolate due to COVID-19, the club had no option other than to request the match be rearranged.
“The Premier League Board took the decision to postpone based on guidance from medical advisors.
“We will also suspend football training operations at the Carrington Training Complex for a short period to help reduce risk of further transmission.
“We regret any disappointment and inconvenience caused to fans by the postponement.”
The Premier League have also confirmed the postponement, but say there are currently no plans to halt the division as a whole.
“The Board assesses applications to postpone matches on a case-by-case basis, based on existing rules and COVID-19 postponement guidance issued to all clubs,” they said.
“It will assess a number of factors, including the ability of a club to field a team; the status, severity and potential impact of the COVID-19 outbreak at the club; and the ability of the players to safely prepare for and play the match.
“The Board must also consider the wider risks to the opposition and other people the club may come into contact with.
“In light of the recent rise in COVID-19 cases across the country, the Premier League has reintroduced Emergency Measures.
“These include protocols such as more frequent testing, wearing face coverings while indoors, observing social distancing and limiting treatment time.”
The news comes after Thursday night’s scheduled fixture between Leicester and Tottenham was also postponed earlier in the day.
Leicester said: “The decision was taken with guidance from medical advisors after the club resubmitted its application for postponement after confirmation this morning (Thursday) of further positive tests for COVID-19 within the First Team squad.
“As a result, the club has an insufficient number of First Team players available to fulfil the match.
“Given the increase in positive tests among First Team personnel, First Team operations at Seagrave will now be closed for 48 hours, serving as a circuit breaker to help reduce the risk of further infection.
“First Team players and staff will undergo a subsequent round of testing on Saturday.
“The club regrets the inconvenience caused to Tottenham Hotspur and both sets of supporters by Thursday night’s postponement.”